1. LONDONDERRY CITY WALLS
Built between 1613 and 1618 by the City of London and owned by the Honourable the Irish Society. A circuit of the Walls is 1,325 metres (roughly one mile), the height is between 6 and 7.5 metres and the breadth is 4 to 9 metres.
After the Siege many special events have taken place on the Walls. The most notable were their use as a venue for two meetings of the Londonderry Corporation. On 15th Sep. 1945, the Freedom of the City was conferred to Viscount Montgomery of Alamein: the Freedom Scroll was presented in a replica of the Mountjoy - the ship that broke the Siege. Again, on 25th October 1945 the Freedom of the City was conferred on Field Marshall Alexander of Tunis. The Scroll on this occasion was enclosed in a silver replica of Roaring Meg: one of the famous cannons along the Walls. Both occasions were broadcast by the BBC.